Friday, December 29, 2017

DORMANCY...URBAN DEVELOPMENT ENROACHING ON MY FARM PERIMETER

The year has passed so I can be forgiving of whatever menace has been done to my farm. However, as I offered all the troubles to God, I have had to admit, I cannot do anything to fight a politician who thinks he can do anything, even hurt other people's property in this town and get away with it.

My daughter wanted to get married and have her reception at the farm. The wedding had to be held elsewhere at such an exhorbitant cost just because a politician, whose name I will not mention, rented out his land which is adjacent to mine to the Bureau of Highways to use as a dumping ground for soil dug up while expanding the highway next to our properties. The politician allowed this, and in so doing, raised the level of the land to the point, the soil dumped on his property, was higher than my wall. This posed a security risk, and eventually, two gas tanks were stolen, and vagrants could just hop on my wall and walk in.

My farm handss caught sight of someone, or maybe more than one person huddled in the dark, early morning last December, trying to break into the house. Our dog, a Belgian Shepherd barked furiously, but was wise enough to remain in her unlocked kennel, for fear there were more than 1 intruder.

I could not risk holding a wedding party that would last into the night, with this situation. During the day, the dust from the soil would fly in the air, causing a health hazard for my people.

Did I sue? I should because the weight of the soil dumped by the ton, was pushing against my wall, and causing it to bend. I was so distraught, and rather than spend for a lawyer considering I probably could not win against the politician, or the government in power at the time, I am just glad, the year passed, and now tall grasses and shrubs are growing over the soil, preventing the dust from flying into our faces, but the security problem is still there.

I am now afraid to spend a night on my farm. A neighbor is suing the congressman, and I am hoping I can reach a decision to do the same when I know the costs of litigation. Small farmers like myself, cannot afford to go up against these powerful, and very corrupt political lords that act like they can do no wrong. One day, I hope what he did to me will be remedied.

Anyway, the wedding of my daughter was beautiful, and she was so happy with the way things turned out. She married the most wonderful man, so her happiness was complete inspite of these obstacles.